Someone asked me to suggest what are the best niche topics to write. Well, you can read all about them from the probloggers’ blogs but let’s not get too ambitious and just stick to what we know, ok? :P
Well, for a start, I can tell you what niche topics to avoid.
1) Making money – I know this blog is about making money but there are far too many blogs on this, competition is too keen. I hardly get organic traffic because there is really nothing to read that you haven’t read elsewhere. The only reason this blog survives is because it is an extension of my personal blog. If say, you are starting out writing about making money, I can tell you that it gets boring.
2) Technology and gadgets – Unless you belong to the first batch of bloggers who started like two years ago, this is another area very hard to break into because almost every person is writing about it. The moment they get the buzz from the main news portal, everyone is regurgitating the same thing.
Now, let’s see what niche topics we can focus on :
1) Home electrical appliances – I had long urge AhPek to start on this. He has his handyman blog which is a bit similar but not quite close. Many new home owners normally do not know how a front loading washing machine differs from top loading or what convection microwave offers from regular microwave. So, if you have an interest, I bet this is a good topic. Turn your blog into a helpful electrical appliances salesman blog.
2) Relationship – This is more on the romantic love and I bet many women will like to read about the dating scene, how to flirt etc and etc. I wish I can do it but I hate the idea of people connecting the blog to the blogger and hence, I stay away from this.
3) Home decoration – If you are artistic and creative, share your thoughts on how to decorate the home. Nothing grand but simple designs will suit the masses. It is the majority that we want, so focusing on low budge home decoration will garner more traffic.
4) Money management – Like how to live shoes string budget, what are the different bank accounts, do we buy trust funds or insurance, how do we save for the children’s education etc etc. Many Malaysians aren’t focusing on this niche.
5) Law – Well, if someone can fill the vaccum like what do we do in simple legal cases, what to do if we get a summon, etc etc, that will be great.
6) Hobbies -There are many types of hobbies and focussing just on them is enough to build a huge follower.
7) Sex! – Hiaksss….this sure sells.
Anyway, I see there are certain blogs that do focus on some niche topics but they failed to be personal. No one likes a blog that does not make the blogger a person. And there are many great blogs which do have the expertise to write about the above niche topics but they bend over to the personal stuffs too much, sometimes, it gets a bit muddled.
The best advice is to build your readership with a personal blog and then, branch out to the niche you are expert in. For example, I branched to parenting, women stuffs, food and cooking, photography, making money, faith and recently, a venue for me to rant freely at Asking for Trouble.
A few of these blogs do get decent Google Adsense income and TLA ads. Two of them, apart from my personal blog, gets about USD250 per month per blog from Adsense and TLA alone. That is certainly a good investment for writing about something I can totally immerse in. The most important thing is to enjoy writing what we know and not getting too fakey with things we copy and paste.
And yeah, get your own domain and make sub-domains if you can’t afford to buy a domain for each. I hope that gives some of you the ideas on what to focus on.