Malaysians asked to fill in US tax forms

I haven’t received payments from a few paid post companies because I never bother to fill in some tax forms to declare that my income are not taxable. It is only recently that we foreigners are asked by these US companies to declare that we are not US citizens.

The form looks so complicated to me and so, I never bother to look. I meant to email it to my hubby to help me check what I am committing myself to. Since he is also busy, it looks like I won’t be getting the payments anytime soon.

I wonder if other Malaysians have filled in the forms for the US companies?

Please note that I am talking about the income we earned from US companies.

If you are making money through Malaysian ads companies like Nuffnang, remember that you have to declare your income to our local Malaysian income tax department if your total income (including your salaries etc) are above a certain figure. (I think it is RM3K per month?)

And don’t ask me if we Malaysians have to pay income tax for money we made from US companies. I don’t know. Some people said offshore income are not taxable. Some people said it is taxable. Wateva…

Post Author: lilian

11 thoughts on “Malaysians asked to fill in US tax forms


    (February 20, 2009 - 12:40 am)

    I bet it’s the w8ben nuisance again.

    They’re now getting strict with US companies because US is BANKRUPT.

    Unless you get an ITIN number, most likely you will lose at least 30 percent of your US income to the IRS.

    Oh btw, the IRS is illegal and unconstitutional anyway because it is not a government entity, but a private institution held/controlled by private banker cartels who owns the Federal Reserve, which is another unconstitutional private corporation that has murdered past US presidents who tried to remove their power to print money.


    (February 20, 2009 - 1:29 am)

    Lucky your husband take care of those stuff.

    For those lucky fella who have a job that earn more than RM3000 and earning lots of like from nuffnang, do consider to register as sole-proprieter. So it will not bloated your income tax amount. Declare your nuffnang, etc income in that account, and throw all your expenses on that. Well, electricity bills, food,travel does count as your “blogging expenses”. ;)


    (February 20, 2009 - 11:39 am)

    i believe many people still not fill US tax forms..


    (February 20, 2009 - 2:42 pm)

    Do Malaysians need to pay US tax for $$ we made from US company? I am not sure… I used to file US tax for the money i made online when I’m in US, but after back to Malaysia, I don’t file… didn’t make alot of $$ also ma.. :) If you make alot, then maybe you need?


    (February 21, 2009 - 4:44 am)

    Hi Lilian, I trade forex online and I had to fill in the tax form before opening an account with a US broker last year, even before the financial crisis. It’s basically to declare that you’re not a US citizen so that the US gomen will not tax whatever profits or income that you made there. But when the $$ arrives back in M’sia, it’s *cough cough* up to your discretion whether you wish to declare it or not. OK, I did not just say that last sentence, haha!


    (February 21, 2009 - 9:04 pm)

    Yes, it’s the w8ben, I’ve been doing that since years ago with most US companies I have an account with. Filling out the form ain’t difficult, the most annoying part is you have to fax it back or snail mail it. That’s why I have an online fax account just to do the fax-to-US job, it saves me a couple of dollars.

    Lorraine Anderson

    (February 22, 2009 - 9:51 pm)

    Well, from what I’ve heard, it IS taxable. But personally, i think that shouldn’t be the case. I hope this helps. LOL


    (February 23, 2009 - 1:28 am)

    Thanks for your information sir
    Your information is very useful to me
    pagerank is unranked


    (February 23, 2009 - 2:32 pm)

    Why malaysians need to fill up the US Tax forms?


    (February 23, 2009 - 11:41 pm)

    @lisa: To declare that you’re not US resident and have no effective connection with biz in the US, so that your online income(that you earn from US companies) can be exempt from tax.

    Make money 275

    (March 1, 2009 - 5:48 am)

    Yes, you will in most cases do exactly need to file your taxes and with reference to whether you must pay income tax from money you made from US companies. Obviously you must.

Comments are closed.