I wish I have your kind of traffic, my traffic is like a small fraction of yours (oh well, I guess I just started a few months) so I would like to learn from you how you promoted your site and drive traffic to your site when you first started. Do give me a step-by-step and pointers, I am all ears!
A food blogger asked me after she saw the traffic I get from MalaysiaBest. Well, I shall make this short and simple:
1) The age of the blog – That blog is more than 1 years old.
2) The content – I keep updating and updating even when my traffic was low and no one commented.
3) Perseverances – I have observed many bloggers who dropped out of blogging after a while. When I started blogging, I really did not blog it for money. I just want to open a totally new site from my personal blog to dedicate it to foods only. But I know it will not come to waste.
4) Good observation – I notice many food bloggers tend to do the same old restaurant foods review. This only caters to a small circle of people living in that area. So, I diversify to health news related to food, latest foods trend and celebrity chefs. Hahaha, now if any restaurants want to be featured on my blog, they either have to impress me or bribe me. :P
5) Socialising – I do not socialise much nowadays because I can’t keep up with the numbers of blogs to visit. But if one is just starting out, keep a regular circle of blogs to visit. Be sincere, of course and don’t just leave comments for the sake of leaving it. Nowadays, I do read but don’t comment unless the bloggers are having birthdays or something like that. However, I like to visit new bloggers to encourage them.
6) Forums – Forum is a good way to know others and also to share experiences. But I never promote my food blogs or any other blogs through forum because I already have my own parenting forum to handle.
7) Smart titles – Always use titles that people normally use to search. Don’t be too creative and come up with title that doesn’t make sense. Go with something like, “How do I peel a potato?” because people normally type exactly words like these.
8) Submit your sites to search engines. – Yahoo, MSN, Google or whatever you find. Check out Google Sitemap and Google Analytics and digest those figures. See where your traffic comes from and try to cater to that country/region as well.
9) Join blog portals/directories – There are plenty of portals where we can submit our blogs. I must say that the traffic is not impressive at all. But for a start, one can’t be choosy. They normally expect you to place their buttons on your site.
10) Link! – Link up established bloggers. Usually, we know who is linking to us from our WordPress dashboard. One does not need to ask to link. Do it, it is good karma. :) If you quote something from someone, always put their links on your blog. Mention it and put in the link. In the long run, it helps with your position.
11) Be a groupie – Hang around established bloggers often. Normally, after a while, you tend to make some friends from there. Of course, don’t do it so blatantly because some established bloggers are damn picky and may ignore or even diss you!
12) Enjoy – Part of blogging is to enjoy what we are doing. So, relax, don’t worry too much about traffic or comments. Just keep writing and be consistent in updating.
Of course, there are hundreds of SEO (search engine optimisation) tips to learn on the internet. Those are more technical so I shall not elaborate as they are out there on the net.
Did I miss out anything else?