One of the side income we can get is through affiliates/referrals.
Firstly, I hope all bloggers do mark their links clearly using an (aff) if they are putting their referral link there. Initially, I didn’t know about this until much later when I read about it from a problogger’s site. That’s what most of the probloggers did when they put their affiliate links so I follow the same way.
I did have some income whenever people signed up some of the ads programmes. As a summary, here are what is paid from each site:
1) Google Adsense – Sorry, it seems mighty hard to ever earn, so I shall just ignore this. I never even bother to put the referral button because if I am not mistaken, the person you referred must earn USD100 within three months of signing up and you are paid USD100. Or is it less? Please find out the latest referral fee from Google.
2) Google PICASA – Picasa is a photo editing software from Google. You get USD1 for every person who download Picasa to their PC. But the catch is…the person must come from US and not Asia.
3) TextLink Ads – USD25 per person who signed up through your referral. Payment paid the moment the person is accepted. Payment paid by the next month.
4) PayPerPost – USD15 per person after their first paid post is generating income. This means, 30 days after they signed up, if they started writing approved, paid posts.
5) Performancing – You get an on-going income which is a certain percentage for everyone who signed up using your referal link. (Quote from Performancing : You take 5% of income generated by any publisher or advertiser you refer to us.)
So, how do you promote the referral links?
I did it these ways:
1) Share my experience on how I earned the income. This will make people confident of signing up.
2) Proof that the ads programme do make money by sharing photos of the cheques, for example.
3) Make announcements related to the ads programme.
4) Give genuine money making tips and never push something for own interest. Do not make excessive claims just to lure and tempt people into signing. Those people who are newbies may not know but you will be condemned by your peers for the dirty tactics.
5) And finally, do not put any general links. Hehehe, I know this is crafty but seriously, I have seen many bloggers who did this mistake. They put the general link to the site and had sent people to wrong place. Notice that I did not link direct to textlink ads and etc in the above paragraphs? Folks, if you wish to sign up, please side the links on the sidebar. :P
One last thought – I know many people intentionally skipped a referral link and purposely use the general link just so that no one earns. But hey, do some good karma, use the referral link even if you do not know the blogger. Good things come to those who do kind things.
David(December 28, 2006 - 9:02 pm)
To avoid stealing commission, always code your link in a redirection file OR modify the .htaccess.
Look at this, I am using a .htaccess redirection code
Naked affiliate link :
Hidden link :
There are even more “canggih” ways to hide your link. It will take me half a day to explain it here.
Internet business is a wonderful game. You will get addicted to it after you see $$$ crashing your bank account.
David(December 28, 2006 - 9:10 pm)
It is still possible to make money from Google Adsense. I have seen a Malaysian making 5 figure consistently each month from Adsense. BUT he is using 3000+ domains to do it.
Another person is making about USD $100k a month from Adsense. He is a from Hong Kong. Also owns more than 3000 domains to do it.
The concept is, 1 site make $1 a day. The more you build, the more you make. It is all automated. How nice …
Unfortunately, I am still at 3 figure for Adsense. It is getting pathetic now after all the stupid rules imposed by Adsense on the advertiser. Better look for other things …
mumsgather(December 29, 2006 - 12:08 am)
Can you share with me more about the criteria for getting your blogs approved by text link ads. I’m not sure when I can submit my own domain blog but when I do, I’ll surely use you as a referral because you are the source where I first heard about text link ads. :)
Immomsdaughter(January 1, 2007 - 11:26 am)
Malu to say I got rejected by Text Link Ads. Happily sign up for it but got the standard 3 reason reply for rejection. :P
Anyway, I’ve signed up with Performancing via your link.