Copyright Infringement and Remedies (dealing with splog)

Recently, I found a site that gathers recipes collected from all sort of sites and the owner took one of my post as well. It irks me that she took the post in its entirety, my photos and even some helpful kitchen tips. No doubt she did link back to me, I don’t want to see my work on her site. If she is a blogger friend of my, I would be honoured. If she had just posted half of my suggestions without taking my photos, I probaly will let her did it.

But no, her site is filled with lots and lots of recipes taken from everywhere. It is not even a blog but just copy and paste stuffs. So, I left a comment and asked her to take it off. She did. But I am still not satisfied. So, I wrote to the free blog provider and complained about her splog (spam blog) and included a screenshot.

The company replied me as below and I am sharing it here so that people can learn more on how to deal with content stealers.

Jeff Steinberg
to me

show details
May 28 (3 days ago)

Thank you for your contact. Your request falls under the US Code Title 17, chapter 5: “Copyright Infringement and Remedies”[1]. The content you refer to falls under � 512c[2]. As such, for us to act upon your request, we’ll need a written notification as described on paragraph c3 of �512c, namely containing:

(i) A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

(ii) Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.

(iii) Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material.

(iv) Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.

(v) A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.

(vi) A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

You may reach us by fax at +1-302-295-8719.


Kind regards,

Jeff Steinberg Support Team

Well, I know it is a loooooong email with puzzling stuffs but nevertheless, I am sure Pablo will understand. Pablo, care to simplify it for our understanding?

Post Author: lilian

3 thoughts on “Copyright Infringement and Remedies (dealing with splog)


    (June 1, 2007 - 12:17 am)

    Lorelle has a very good series of articles on content stealing, the first one in the series is What Do You Do When Someone Steals Your Content


    (June 1, 2007 - 9:20 pm)

    After chatting with you on MSN, I wrote to the webmaster asking that he stops stealing my content from my health blog. Like you said, I wouldn’t mind if he’s my friend and took just a part of it but he has been syndicating every post, even paid ones – ai yo!


    (June 4, 2007 - 1:08 pm)

    Sorry ah! I just balik dari cuti cuti Malaysia.

    To put it simply, before you can claim that someone stole your property, you have to prove that you own it in the first place. Hence, for publication works (eg. your recipes, photos and the like), you need to register it first. It’s saying to the world that “I own this and you don’t have permission to use it or unless…”.

    To register, I think Creative Commons is one place you can register. Put up your copyright clause big big or prominent on your blog.

    When you see someone else duplicating your stuff without your consent, you need to inform the relevant authorities if you are pissed off.

    You will need to show them that it is your publication, that you have registered your publication and announced to the world to “keep your hands off”, that this fella has itchy hands and you are super pissed about it.

    Then, see what the authorities say lor…..

Comments are closed.